Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Premise for personal project in Digital Cel

Been trying to think of some ideas for my main project....I want to keep it simple, but since we practically have the whole quarter to work on it I don't want to make it too simple to the point where it is really boring. I'd figure I'd have some character animation...but not a whole lot...with just one character...after looking at mojizu I see how a character design that is very simple can still be appealing. i was thinking of using this cartoon chicken character that I always use. or a character with very little features so it be easy to animate. Here are some ideas for the chicken character

very simple. The body could be one piece and most of the animation with it would be squashing and stretching, or jiggling. I'd probabaly create more than one body shape for different actions of course, but I would try and keep the body one peice so it be easier to manipulate.

Anyways,

the character would come across a ball, but when it would touch it the ball would come alive and start morphing into different shapes and lines, attacking the chicken(or whatever) Some inspiration I got from this idea was Chuck Jones A Romance in Lower Mathematics.....a animation that only has geometric shapes and lines, but it is very entertaining and tells a great story.



the ball would keep morphing into different shapes and lines and use itself as a weapon to terrorize the character, and the character would try to fight back but fail at every attempt...so it would be a comedy piece, a silly little character being attacked by some non-objective character..so it be more of an abstract piece. the non objective character and the objective character do kinda clash.. but I think by making the character with geometric shapes and stray away from more realistic features the two should match together more. I was thinking of not using the chicken character and making something more geometric like some little robot character or something non-animal like but I think having a cute stupid little critter getting attacked by something not cute is more appealing.

The animation would be a minute or less...I still have to figure out how many scenes I want to have..basically each scene would be the ball thing morphing into something else to attack the chicken with...I'd maybe have it change into 5 different attacking forms with maybe some small little things in between...for example in one scene the ball might change into sharp pints that would try to stab the chicken and then it would morph into lots of dots that would pelt the chicken, and then turn into robs and slap the chicken around...the whole animation would follow in that pattern..the chicken being attacked while putting up a weak defense, and that is where the comedy would be, the chicken unable to defend itself. The end would be the chicken finally destroying the ball by squashing it or shattering it in one big motion, and when the chicken is relieved to see the ball gone a much larger ball appears behind it and the screen goes back as you see horror come across the chickens face.

Now this can be a very simple animation or a very complex one...even though most of the animation would be with shapes and lines..it could still be difficult to animate depending on how much movement and morphing I want going on..I would hardly use frame by frame..and use motion tweens and the shape morphing tween..and I'd probably have to use path layers for some of the movements. I would have to be very organized which is why I'd probably create a new scene for every attack/morph the ball does, including the chickens reactions to each attack. To avoid choppiness between each attack/morph from the ball I'd have to create little transitions between each part so the animation would look smoother instead of having each attack/morph just pop ontu the screen each time..for instance in some transitions the ball would return to its original form, and then morph into something else.

As far as the backgrounds...since this would be in a geometric world so it be in some kinda void....so the background would be simplistic with flat colors. For audio I'd either have some song playing softly in the background or I would just use sound effects for the chicken and the attacking shapes/lines...

I will continue to update this..but this is what I have for now.

1 comment:

  1. WOW! You really have this down don't you? I can't wait to see it in action! It's been a while since I've had a class with you... I really love your characters. I remember there would always be cute animals reminiscent of Paul Frank. Actually, the simplicity of Paul Frank's characters would probably be perfect for Flash. Even though you say it's only going to be a minute or less, I feel like this can still go on longer, so you should definitely be careful if that's not what you want to happen. You seem to really know what you want to do exactly, so I'm pretty excited to see some storyboards or even an animatic! I think the simplicity of your characters combined with their cute appeal will make for a great flash anim.

    ReplyDelete